Reports to Director of Research and Development
Company Profile and Management:
Pria Diagnostics is a privately held research and development company specializing in advanced disposable medical diagnostics. The Company’s platform technology uses the latest advances in microfluidics and florescence-based detection to offer highly sophisticated medical diagnostics solutions. Adapted from medical research and military applications, the Company’s innovative technology permits an integrated fully functional design that is small, lightweight and low cost.
The Company’s business strategy is to target the multi-billon dollar immunoassay and nucleotide diagnostic market with its enabling platform technology. The Company has an established development and distribution agreement with an industry leading company for deployment of its first product, Element. Future applications of the Company’s technology include tests in infectious disease, drug delivery, and environmental testing. The Company seeks to commercialize one core application of its technology, while seeking manufacturing and distribution partnerships for other markets.
Incorporated in 2002, the Company is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, the world’s top biotechnical and technology driven market. The position will be based at the Company’s primary site of business in Menlo Park, California.
The Company’s management team is focused on the enablement of R&D and Engineering. They bring together general management, engineering, operational, financial and business development expertise. By building a strong, experienced team, the Company has established a solid foundation from which it will maximize continuing opportunities for success. The Company has fostered a pristine intellectual, energetic, and results focused workplace. It plans to use all resources available to attract only the most adept professionals.
This position involves the Research and Development of new products for the medical diagnostics industry. The ideal candidate will work actively in the laboratory, utilizing skills in engineering to design, build, and evaluate new devices relevant to human health and disease. The position will work closely with our product development team to develop and validate new assays and instruments. We are looking for a candidate that loves what he does and is willing to share that enthusiasm in a start-up company environment. The right candidate is personally driven, energetic, practical, self-motivated, and disciplined in their work.
- MS or PhD in Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics or related discipline with 2-4 years of relevant experience is desirable.
- Mastery of advanced principles in optics and their commercial applications.
- Mastery of optical design principles and design anaylsys with computer aided design package (Code5, Zemax, etc).
- Mastery of basic engineering principles related to mechanical and electrical design and implementation.
- Experience with the design and prototyping of optical, opto-electrical and opto-mechanical instruments used as diagnostic or measurement tools.
- Experience or exposure to problems with fluidic and microfluidic systems a plus.
- Experienced in the design of experiments, testing, and validation of laboratory prototype devices.
- Able to work in a small, highly skilled, multidisciplinary team to perform research and development on highly integrated optical, electrical, mechanical, and biochemical devices.
- Essential accessory skills include mechanical design skills using CAD (preferably SolidWorks), optical systems design, previous experience with spectroscopy, fluorimetry, or interferometer design, construction, and operation a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up environment on multiple projects within milestone-driven timelines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage and direct one or more research associates.
- Desktop computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel and a working knowledge of statistics.
A competitive base salary with stock option bonus comprise the principal compensation. The package will be commensurate with the candidate’s level of education, accomplishments and experience. The Company has designed the compensation package to reward excellent and innovative performance. Additionally, the Company has a competitive medical benefits program.
To be considered for the position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the subject line Optical-Mechanical Engineer in your email.